Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Looking ahead (December & 2008)

My last post about my schedule was early in October, when I mentioned that I was going to need a lot of coffee due to my upcoming travels. On the flight into Monterey, CA, I actually met Libraryman (Michael Porter) whose photo (left) I've been using with permission. Very cool!

Between now and the end of the year, I'll be giving three workshops/presentations on social networking tools for Suffolk Cooperative Library System (Nov. 29), SUNY Cortland (Dec. 4) and the Rochester Regional Library Council (Dec. 11). (See calendar in the left column for details and links). I'll also be giving a presentation at E-Info Global Symposium (Dec. 7) in Huntsville, AL on "Trends in eRepositories." This is a one-day conference with speakers come from across the U.S. and Canada.

My talk at E-Info will be on institutional repositories in a broader sense than we might think about them. eRepositories are a potential rich source of information, data, images, research, background info, unpublished materials, and cultural materials. Since they are digital, they must be more proactive in being good stewards of the information they contain. They are the archives that will house the information we'll want in the future, and we need to ensure that we build them well.

Events are already on my schedule for 2008, with several others likely to fall into place soon. (See calendar on the left side of this blog.) Among them is an event on January 16 where I'll talk about "Privacy & Security in Our Online, Networked World." I talk about privacy both in my digitization and social networking workshops, and security is always a concern when talking about social networking. At this event, I'll be able to talk about these issues with members of the financial community.

For more information on any of the events on my calendar, please contact the sponsoring organization or me. If you would me to speak at your event, give me a shout.


Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: