Monday, December 29, 2008

Federated search blogs, presentations, and a report

My interest in federated search, over the last few years, had led me to follow a few federated search blogs, attended related presentations and -- this year -- write a report on federated search. So let's take a quick look at what's out there, in case this topic also interests you.

Blogs: Here are five that are in my blog reader. There may, of course, be others.
Articles: Well, there are ton of articles on federated search and many of them are good. If you are interested in the topic, I would suggest skimming many articles so you can get a feel for the points of view being expressed. That will help you to narrow down on the types of articles that will be useful to you. For example, are you interested in articles about the industry or in articles on specific implementations? Do you only want to read articles on specific software?

Besides using an Internet search engine to find articles, be sure to use the databases at your library.

Presentations: I suspect that every library-related conference contains several presentations on federated search. Here are a few from 2008:
A Report: The Federated Search Report and Tool Kit, which I wrote for Free Pint, has been well-received. The report includes chapters and activities that guide you through the process of selecting a federated solution. And at £39.00 (or ~US $62.40), it is worthwhile investment. (Of course, I'm biased!)


Technorati tag:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the mention of the Federated Search Blog. The blog does have a resource section as well:

http://federatedsearchblog.com/resources/

I haven't looked at the list for a while. I see that it's time to update it so I'll be adding resources in the next couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Jill,

I had forgotten about this article I wrote in July, identifying 21 outstanding federated search presentations:

http://federatedsearchblog.com/2008/07/18/21-outstanding-federated-search-presentations/